jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ian Boston <...@tfd.co.uk>
Subject Re: How does Jackrabbit compares to Elasticsearch
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2015 09:44:44 GMT
On 10 September 2015 at 09:26, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >2. You really really want a folder hierarchy.
> >(I say #2 as .5 because I believe tagging fills this need, so who cares
> >about folders?)
>
> There are some additional reasons to use folders (web URLs are
> hierarchical, file system are).
>
> >The other things Jackrabbit brings to the table like versioning, locking,
> >restrictions
> >can be implemented in very little time from scratch.
>
> Well, unfortunately that's not always true, depending on the use case.
> Otherwise, Jackrabbit would be a lot simpler...
>
> Compared to Elasticsearch. Well as far as I know Elasticsearch is about
> search, and lacks typical "database" features like cross-document
> transactions. MongoDB and other NoSQL storage are probably closer to a
> regular database, but also typically lacks that (plus fulltext search).
> Compared to relational databases, Jackrabbit has fulltext and mixed
> (property and fulltext) queries, unstructured / semi-structured content.
>
> And of course, Jackrabbit is open source :-)

As is ElasticSearch. (Apache 2 License)

https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

Although it's not an Apache project, it appears to be an open community.
161 open pull requests,  >5k closed pull requests.

https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/pulls

ElasticSearch.com is now a Corp, which could at some point in the future
decide to refocus on a commercial version.

As Thomas said, its based on Lucene, which was not designed as a
persistence store like MongoDB, other NoSQL, LevelDB or RDBMS's. Both TarMK
and MongoMK on MongoDB were. ES doesn't loose data because it has features
on top of Lucene than make it both elastic and reliable, provided you
deploy on at least 3 servers. (ideally 5 or more).

Best Regards
Ian