jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Help for a new user
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2014 18:09:17 GMT
Some ideas that may be helpful.
If you want to search inside Jackrabbit using its internal search
engine, you are going to have to extract the text on the way in.
I think that this means using the appropriate tool to read the content
from the incoming document and creating a document linked to the
original that can be searched by Jackrabbit and then used to find the
original PDF or DOC or XLS, etc. to present to the user.

This should be possible for most of the common documents since there are
Apache tools such as POI that let you read DOC and XLS files and extract
the content.
http://pdfbox.apache.org
http://poi.apache.org/
http://www.swftools.org/
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Xml

This can be a reasonably general solution if you add a facility that
allows users to manually write a document summary or keyword list  for
documents in formats that you do not support or that do not contain text
that describes their content or usage - CAD drawings, Quickbooks
backups, database backups, etc.

I hope that this gives you something to think about until a real
Jackrabbit expert shows up.

Ron