jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Lukas Smith <sm...@pooteeweet.org>
Subject Re: getSize() == -1 with oak
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2014 15:10:05 GMT

> On 24 Jul 2014, at 17:04, Torgeir Veimo <torgeir.veimo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not saying it's not JCR compliant, but if it's not available in
> any way, then it's a regression in terms of the functionality that
> jackrabbit 2.8 delivers.
>
> A common use case would be our job ad email subscription service,
> where users can subscribe to daily or weekly delivery of new job ad
> postings. The user expects to see the number of job ads matching his
> subscription criteria.

Its just very hard to provide an efficient and accurate count for search results. Especially
in the context of permissions etc.

FYI: related to this there was some discussion about adding explicit queries to get a count
to JSR-333 etc:
https://java.net/projects/jsr-333/lists/issues/archive/2013-02/message/7

In general:
Either the result is small enough that you can do the count in user land or its too large
and then it likely makes no sense to provide a count to the user anyway.

regards,
Lukas