jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: using the webDAV component
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:37:37 GMT
On 2013-10-16 12:15, Christoph Läubrich wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> I just can tell my experience. I'm using Apache SVN Webdav module and
> that is working with linux, windows and "standard" Webbrowsers. So I can
> assume tha there ARE ways of handling this compfortable and reliable for
> users that don't care if they are using the "right" client. I evaluated
> JR exactly for that purpose: Giving access to a Datastore via Webbrowser
> and/or system integrated methods without need for special software.

Understood.

But there are problems Jackrabbit can't fix as it doesn't control them.
For instance, when the client makes the incorrect assumption that the
server's root must be WebDAV-enabled.

>  > And when you say "Webbrowser" -- what does this have to do with WebDAV?
>
> WebDav is an extension to HTTP. Webbrowsers can talsk http. And at least
> the Apache SVN Webdav module can be used with simple browsers to
>   a) Browse a directory tree
>   b) Download (the latest revision) of a file

That's not WebDAV; that's simply an HTML based UI.

> And with JR Webdav this is also possible to browse the repro (of course
> as with the SVN webdav it is not possible to use ALL features through
> simple http GET), even if I don't know that this is REQUIRED and/or
> COVERED by the WebDav spec. But IMO thats something most ppl assume.

It has nothing to do with WebDAV.

> As the original author of the discussion I'd love to see an working
> WebDav example, but the common answer is: Try Sling, and even with that
> it (as described) din't work that smooth that I would recommend this
> over RMI (what worked for browsing the repro out-of-the-box).

I successfully used Jackrabbit's WebDAV last week with MacOS (builtin
client) and Cyberduck (standalone client).

> Again don't take this as an offence or statement that it is not working
> at all! Just some impressions I got when I tried this latetely.
>
> BTW: In the end I'm using this project
> (http://webdav-servlet.sourceforge.net/) for presenting relevant content
> as WebDav and it worked at least with the mentioned defaultclients of
> Windows,Linux,Webbrowser.
>
> regards Christoph

If that's "just" a servlet, and it works where Jackrabbit does not, then
we should obtain traces and find out what's different.

Best regards, Julian