jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Christoph Läubrich <lae...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: using the webDAV component
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:15:35 GMT
Hi Julian,

I just can tell my experience. I'm using Apache SVN Webdav module and
that is working with linux, windows and "standard" Webbrowsers. So I can
assume tha there ARE ways of handling this compfortable and reliable for
users that don't care if they are using the "right" client. I evaluated
JR exactly for that purpose: Giving access to a Datastore via Webbrowser
and/or system integrated methods without need for special software.

 > And when you say "Webbrowser" -- what does this have to do with WebDAV?

WebDav is an extension to HTTP. Webbrowsers can talsk http. And at least
the Apache SVN Webdav module can be used with simple browsers to
  a) Browse a directory tree
  b) Download (the latest revision) of a file

And with JR Webdav this is also possible to browse the repro (of course
as with the SVN webdav it is not possible to use ALL features through
simple http GET), even if I don't know that this is REQUIRED and/or
COVERED by the WebDav spec. But IMO thats something most ppl assume.

As the original author of the discussion I'd love to see an working
WebDav example, but the common answer is: Try Sling, and even with that
it (as described) din't work that smooth that I would recommend this
over RMI (what worked for browsing the repro out-of-the-box).

Again don't take this as an offence or statement that it is not working
at all! Just some impressions I got when I tried this latetely.

BTW: In the end I'm using this project
(http://webdav-servlet.sourceforge.net/) for presenting relevant content
as WebDav and it worked at least with the mentioned defaultclients of
Windows,Linux,Webbrowser.

regards Christoph