jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Jay McHugh <jaydmch...@gmail.com>
Subject What is the system impact of running Janitor?
Date Mon, 06 May 2013 21:11:26 GMT
Hello all.

First of all - I just want to make sure that Janitor is in fact part of
JackRabbit...

Second, I wanted to find out what type of performance impact there would be
to enable Janitor on a repository that has been live for a while without it
enabled.

To give some context - we have a two node repository using JackRabbit 2.4.1
(within the Magnolia CMS) running on two Linux servers.  They are sharing a
single mySQL instance running on one of those two servers.

We have calculated the actual data size to be approximately 3Gb of real
data.  And over 100Gb of journal data.  For the most part, additions to the
repository are done programmatically in batches and the majority of the
time access is only as reads.

If we started Janitor would it bring our systems to an effective halt?  Or
does Janitor run as its own process with little or no actual impact on the
repository?

I have seen the janitorSleep parameter but I am not quite sure what it
would actually do.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jay McHugh