jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From <msl...@email.cz>
Subject Re: JVM hangs during startup (indexing) (2)
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 15:09:48 GMT
Quick look: It hangs in connection pool - connection pool if it cannot
return free connection to caller it waits forever by default.
How big is your connection pool? (Maximum size? It would be good to patch
connection pool to see who/how many connections is
used and why connections are used not release. In our config we use
connection max pool size 15 and it is enough.) So first
fast fix would be to increase max connection pool size but if there is
problem with not released connection it will not help for long.

Good news is it is not problem with memory or gc (at least IMO).

Marek

--
Marek Slama
mslama@email.cz

---------- Původní zpráva ----------
Od: Daniel Hobi <d.hobi@gmx.ch>
Datum: 7. 3. 2013
Předmět: JVM hangs during startup (indexing) (2)

"Hi there

Some updates on our issue started here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jackrabbit-users/201301.mbox/%3C201
30115135117.186960%40gmx.net%3E

We're still facing the JVM freeze (possibly during minor gcs) even if...

...we updated Jackrabbit from 2.2.13 to 2.6.0.

...we updated the Sun JVM to the latest version (1.6.39) and even tried
OpenJDK.

...we increased the JVM heap size (up to 1.5gb).

...we upgraded PostgreSQL to the latest version (8.4.x / 9.2.x) available.

But there is good news too:

- I've just played around with the JVM's garbage collection
options. Even if the index process still hangs the JVM will no longer block.
I was able to get an interesting thread dump:
<http://pastebin.com/uSrXpej8> http://pastebin.com/uSrXpej8

- With the addition JVM Param -XX:MaxNewSize=10m we can make the
hang occur faster (less than 100 minor gcs)

I would be very grateful if someone could have a look at this. We're running
(slowly but surely) out of ideas :-(

Thanks!

Daniel"