jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Hobi" <d.h...@gmx.ch>
Subject JVM hangs during startup (indexing) (2)
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 13:08:08 GMT
Hi there

Some updates on our issue started here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jackrabbit-users/201301.mbox/%3C201
30115135117.186960%40gmx.net%3E

We're still facing the JVM freeze (possibly during minor gcs) even if...

...we updated Jackrabbit from 2.2.13 to 2.6.0.

...we updated the Sun JVM to the latest version (1.6.39) and even tried
OpenJDK.

...we increased the JVM heap size (up to 1.5gb).

...we upgraded PostgreSQL to the latest version (8.4.x / 9.2.x) available.

But there is good news too:

-          I've just played around with the JVM's garbage collection
options. Even if the index process still hangs the JVM will no longer block.
I was able to get an interesting thread dump:
<http://pastebin.com/uSrXpej8> http://pastebin.com/uSrXpej8

-          With the addition JVM Param -XX:MaxNewSize=10m we can make the
hang occur faster (less than 100 minor gcs)

I would be very grateful if someone could have a look at this. We're running
(slowly but surely) out of ideas :-(

Thanks!

Daniel