jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From SCHEDENIG Marian <Marian.Schede...@qualysoft.com>
Subject RE: How does Jackrabbit resolve ACL permissions?
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 14:16:23 GMT
Hi Angela,

thanks again for your input. I finally got around to working on this again.

On a single level, I made our permission concept work by making sure that deny enries are
always sorted before grant entries in our ACLs. I've also configured our repositories to use
SimpleWorkspaceAccessManager, which simply grants workspace access to all validated users
(we have a custom login module anyway which only allows access for specific users).

I'm still struggling with inherited dependencies though. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something,
but the way I see it, permissions are evaluated either 1) working downwards from the root
directory to the file in question or 2) upwards from the relevant file to the root directory.
In case 1), a privilege denied to a user on one level would be denied to the same user for
all sub levels as well. In case 2), sub levels could override the permissions by granting
the user the privilege again, i.e. users could be denied write access on the root folder and
then granted write access on their own home folder.

I've written a couple of test cases, and neither option really seems to apply. I'll briefly
describe my test cases below; all of them consist of a simple structure with a main folder
"main", a sub folder "sub" and a file "file" in the sub folder. I'm setting permissions only
on folders (we generally don't use ACLs on files, as we've had issues with versioning). I'm
setting up the test cases as an admin user and then verifying the permission as User A. User
A belongs to the groups A_AND_B and ONLY_A. All users belong to the group everyone (which
maps to the EveryonePrinciple).

Test A:

Deny "all" to everyone on main, grant "all" to A_AND_B on sub. User cannot read main, but
can read sub and file, and can write new content to file. This is consistent with option 2
described above.

Test B:

Grant "write" to everyone on main, deny "write" to  A_AND_B on sub. User can read all files
andfolders, but cannot write new content to file. Also consistent with option 2.

 Test C:

Deny "read" and "write" to ONLY_A on main, grant "read" and "write" to everyone on sub. User
cannot read main, which is still consistent with option 2, but he can also not read sub and
file, or write content to the file. And this doesn't seem to fit any of the options I described.

Curiously when I change the deny to A_AND_B and the grant to ONLY_A, everything works as expected
again. Which could indicate that the order in which a user's groups are listed (which is undefined
in our case) has an influence on the effective permissions.

Is there something else I'm missing here?

Thx,
Marian.