jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Melanie Drake <melanie.dr...@gmail.com>
Subject Retaining Data in Jackrabbit Upgrade
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2013 14:39:04 GMT
I have many customers using Jackrabbit 1.6.1.  Each customer has generated
a lot of data.  I am looking to upgrade from 1.6.1 to the latest stable
version (2.4.3) of Jackrabbit.  I need to retain the data generated with
1.6.1.

 From what I understand:

   - Prior to v2.0, Jackrabbit used "simple" transactions. With simple
   transactions, one action (e.g., change a property, check in a file, etc.)
   is performed at a time.
   - Jackrabbit 2.0 and above uses bundled transactions (i.e., many
   requests are made at once).
   - The Jackrabbit database schema for simple vs. bundled transactions
   varies.
   - There is currently no procedure to upgrade a database from a simple
   schema to a bundled schema.

(If I got any of this wrong, kindly let me know.)

Ok, here are my questions:

What are my options for retaining the 1.6.1 data after upgrading to 2.4.3?

Is there an option to continue to use simple transactions in 2.4.3?   So, I
would continue to use the 'old' (1.6.1) schema with Jackrabbit 2.4.3.  (If
no mechanism is provided to convert the data, it seems reasonable to retain
but deprecate the API for simple transactions.)  If this is an option, are
there known issues?

Is it possible to convert a 1.6.1 database to the schema used in 2.4.3?

Thanks!

-Melanie