jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Hobi" <d.h...@gmx.ch>
Subject RE: JVM hangs during startup (indexing)
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:56:47 GMT
Hi Jukka

> Are you running an up-to-date JVM? The thread dump doesn't show any
deadlocks so this sounds rather like a JVM hang, possibly triggered by
> some native font/graphics library issues we've encountered on a few
occasions with PDF processing.

We are currently running 1.6.0_26...

> Alternatively, increasing the amount of memory available to the process
might help. Some PDFs may require lots of memory, which could cause
> unexpected OOM issues to bubble up.

The strange thing is that we don't get OOM exceptions.

> Finally, if you upgrade to Jackrabbit 2.4, you might want to try the
forkJavaCommand option we added in JCR-2864. That puts the full text
> extraction tasks to separate background processes where they have no
chance of breaking the main repository process in ways described above.

Good to know. We switched to 2.4.x once but immediately went back to 2.2.x
because of very (very) slow query results. We are using XPATH as query
language. Could that be the reason?

However, I'm still investigating this issue. At the moment, it seems that
our postgresql (8.4.14) could be the bad boy in the whole story. After
upgrading to 8.4.15, the indexing process is still running (since
yesterday).

Daniel

> ...and then suddenly (after about 61100)...
> 1. no more log output is created
> 2. yourkit cannot talk to the jvm process anymore (not responding)

Are you running an up-to-date JVM? The thread dump doesn't show any
deadlocks so this sounds rather like a JVM hang, possibly triggered by some
native font/graphics library issues we've encountered on a few occasions
with PDF processing.

Alternatively, increasing the amount of memory available to the process
might help. Some PDFs may require lots of memory, which could cause
unexpected OOM issues to bubble up.

Finally, if you upgrade to Jackrabbit 2.4, you might want to try the
forkJavaCommand option we added in JCR-2864. That puts the full text
extraction tasks to separate background processes where they have no chance
of breaking the main repository process in ways described above.

BR,

Jukka Zitting