jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ian Boston <...@tfd.co.uk>
Subject Re: Intermittent Slow Down
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2012 22:16:50 GMT
Hi Morrell,
Sounds suspiciously like garbage collection activity. Rather than
attaching a profiler which may impact heap usage, try attaching a JMX
console which should be less impact (eg JConsole) and looking at the
graph of Garbage Collection activity during the slow down.

If you see it taking up a significant amount of time and CPU, try
changing the type of garbage collector[1]. IIRC the default without
the -server flag is a serial GC. Increasing heap will lengthen the
time between these slowdowns but won't eliminate them.

Also, you may be able to recreate the slowdown by forcing a full GC
operation from JConsole. Obviously if a full GC operation doesn't
leave the JVM with significantly more free heap, then you need to up
the limit to prevent the JVM spending all its time trying to free
more.

You didn't say which JVM you are using, the link below is for 6.
Adjust appropriately.

HTH
Ian

1 http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/gc-tuning-6-140523.html#available_collectors

On 18 December 2012 05:14, Morrell Jacobs <mjacobs@maned.com> wrote:
> We're running MySQL 5.5.19 for Linux
>
> We had the blobs in the database because of clustering.  Since we've moved to single
stack, I suppose we could pull them out - not a long term solution, but we could try and see
if it helps.

> I'll have our MySQL experts review the settings, the restructuring may be accounting
for some of the slow down.  If we were seeing delays from MySQL, I wouldn't expect Tomcat's
CPU usage to be pegged though - I would think all the threads would be idle, waiting for a
response.  Does that sound right to you?

> Thanks
> Morrell
>

> On Dec 17, 2012, at 12:48 PM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
>
>> I would play with the JVM memory configuration.
>> It still looks very small.
>> Try doubling it and see if it changes anything.
>> If not, you can look elsewhere and if it does, try making it larger until it stops
improving things.

>> What version of MySQL are you running?
>> Have you tuned your MySQL?
>> You might want to look at how MySQL is going to treat these objects and what configuration
parameters are recommended when you have large blobs.
>> Have you thought about getting your binary content out of the database. Databases
are not very good at 100Mb blobs.
>> Links to 100Mb blobs/files work much better.
>>
>> Is there a compelling reason to put the binary data inside a database?
>> Anytime MySQL has to restructure its indexes or physical storage, you are going to
see a pause in the action.

>> Ron
>>
>> On 17/12/2012 12:04 PM, Morrell Jacobs wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> We're currently experience a problem where JackRabbit function will occasionally
slow down; according to our QA, the slow down comes in waves: good performance for a while
(hours) then bad for a while (minutes / hours).  The slow down is on the order of minutes
to perform create or modify an object (creation involves creating a 2-3 levels of nodes, and
setting properties).  Normally these operations take 100 - 300 ms, but during the slow down
they can take as much 5 minutes.

>>> The slow down does not seem to be connected to the load on the server: we've
seen it perform well, when many people are connecting, then slow down with only one user.
 I suspect the slow down is related to indexing, but that's just a guess on my part - I'm
looking for something that would happen at some interval.

>>> Environment:
>>> * JackRabbit is built into war running in Tomcat (was 7.0.25, recently upgraded
to 7.0.34)
>>> * Tomcat was running with default configs but recently up'd memory - -Xms128M
-Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=256M
>>> * Repository XML is at end of email
>>> * JackRabbit was originally configured to be clustered, but is now running as
just a single instance.

>>> Data:
>>> * Our data is structured similar to a file system, except any object can be both
a file and contain other objects (files); each object has various metadata (some in properties,
some in child nodes), a file and child objects
>>> * We don't use full text searching and don't want file (binary) contents indexed;
the only way I was able to prevent the search index from examining the files (some are large
100+ M) was to create my own node types for files.  My node types are identical nt:file and
nt:content, except that they are named prd:file and prd:content; the unrecognized name seems
to prevent indexing from touch them.

>>> When I've attempted to use profiling tools, it appears that during the slow down
the CPU is pegged; memory usage is also at or close to the limit.  In depth profiling tools
(NetBeans) get overwhelmed during the slow down.