jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Intermittent Slow Down
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 20:57:32 GMT
On 18/12/2012 12:32 PM, Morrell Jacobs wrote:
> Ron, I think your point of pushing the virtual memory handling to the OS layer is very
sage.

> As for the current memory results, the changes are to the JVM heap size.  Using tools
to review the JVM heap usage, it's generally pretty low (usually less than 300 Mb, occasional
spikes to around 400 Mb), but we are not putting much load on the server during the current
test.

> The GC tuning article posted by Ian is great; the notes about default GC explain much
of the behavior we've been seeing.  I still need to review the effects of the -server, to
see if any additional changes would make sense.

> Once I have a good configuration, I'm going to do some tests to see the impact of adjusting
memory allocations & processing power, to get some insight as to what is appropriate and
how changes impact server response.
Good plan.
It probably will be interesting to know the sensitivity to VM parameters
and real memory availability.
Post -"everything is running fine", it is sometimes hard to get these
kinds of tests to the top of the queue.

Ron

> On Dec 18, 2012, at 9:17 AM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
>
>> The memory is easy to play with if you want to lower it to see where the bottom lies.
>> I find it hard to believe that your memory footprint is that low given our experience
with Tomcat and the size of the blobs that you are throwing around in MySQL unless you are
talking about real memory not virtual memory in the JVM.
>> We had to set the JVM to 1 GB with very small records and fairly simple transactions
just get our app to perform as we expected it, so I am not shocked or surprised that 2Gb is
reasonable for your application.

>> Since JVM memory is virtual at the OS level, it is hard to see much advantage in
going under 2GB.

>> I think that there is an important distinction between real and JVM memory.
>> You can probably make a virtual machine thrash while lots of real memory is free.
>> The Java garbage collection lives inside the JVM container and has to manage the
VM defined at the JVM level even if the OS has lots of real memory available.

>> Ron
>>
>> On 18/12/2012 8:44 AM, Morrell Jacobs wrote:
>>> The combo of extra memory and changes seems to have eliminated the problem or
at least hidden / delayed it.  Tomcat settings include -sever and I've allocated 2 GB of ram:
after about 13 hours of running (with light load), the problem has not occurred.

>>> Memory usage is ranging between 150 MB and 175 MB.  Forcing garbage collection
to run dropped memory under 100 MB, which supports the theory that GC is / was at the heart
of the problem.

>>> The assistance and advice is much appreciated.  I follow up with additional details
as I find them.

>>> Thanks
>>> Morrell

used the JMX tools (VisualVM) and running GC manually seems to drop back down to a base level
(or close).

pattern, which isn't a surprise.  The test takes a while to run so have to wait and see if
-server helps.

JMX

GC

we've moved to single stack, I suppose we could pull them out - not a long term solution,
but we could try and see if it helps.

may be accounting for some of the slow down.  If we were seeing delays from MySQL, I wouldn't
expect Tomcat's CPU usage to be pegged though - I would think all the threads would be idle,
waiting for a response.  Does that sound right to you?

it larger until it stops improving things.

objects and what configuration parameters are recommended when you have large blobs.
the database. Databases are not very good at 100Mb blobs.

storage, you are going to see a pause in the action.

function will occasionally slow down; according to our QA, the slow down comes in waves: good
performance for a while (hours) then bad for a while (minutes / hours).  The slow down is
on the order of minutes to perform create or modify an object (creation involves creating
a 2-3 levels of nodes, and setting properties).  Normally these operations take 100 - 300
ms, but during the slow down they can take as much 5 minutes.

on the server: we've seen it perform well, when many people are connecting, then slow down
with only one user.  I suspect the slow down is related to indexing, but that's just a guess
on my part - I'm looking for something that would happen at some interval.

7.0.25, recently upgraded to 7.0.34)
up'd memory - -Xms128M -Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=256M
but is now running as just a single instance.

any object can be both a file and contain other objects (files); each object has various metadata
(some in properties, some in child nodes), a file and child objects
(binary) contents indexed; the only way I was able to prevent the search index from examining
the files (some are large 100+ M) was to create my own node types for files.  My node types
are identical nt:file and nt:content, except that they are named prd:file and prd:content;
the unrecognized name seems to prevent indexing from touch them.

that during the slow down the CPU is pegged; memory usage is also at or close to the limit.
 In depth profiling tools (NetBeans) get overwhelmed during the slow down.

community can provide will be greatly appreciated.