jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Felix Oghina <fog...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: How to please
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 05:57:15 GMT
Hi Alex,

Why not store your items under the categories? For example you could have /.../category1/category2/item.
That is pretty much "the JCR way". Alternatively, if for example you need to have items belong
in multiple categories, you can use an array property. For example:

--categories
----category1
------@name=category1
----category2
------@name=category2
--items
----item1
------@categories=[category1, category2]

I think that would be pleasing enough ;).

Cheers,
Felix

Alex Leshinsky <aleshinsky@iname.com> wrote:

There’s an eerie feeling in me that this question has been asked and answered a million
times.
 Being in the grip of my decades long RDB programming, I can’t seem to decide what is the
“JCR way” to deal with this:

 I need to associate certain objects, lets call them “items”, with a classification named
“category”. Categories have a hierarchical structure and sit in a tree outside items.
 An item can be associated with any node in the Category tree.

 I’m aware that David calls IDs evil. So, how do I model that without risking to burn in
hell?
 Many thanks!
Alex Leshinsky