jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Leshinsky" <aleshin...@iname.com>
Subject Re: How to please
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:59:23 GMT
Felix,
 thanks for your input.

 The items actually live in a different tree (credential profiles belonging to individual
users). And an item can only belong to one category.
 So that I need to model a one-to-many scheme (one category many items). Any suggestions in
this regard?

 Thanks,
 Alex.

----- Original Message -----
From: Felix Oghina
Sent: 08/17/12 01:57 AM
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to please

 Hi Alex, Why not store your items under the categories? For example you could have /.../category1/category2/item.
That is pretty much "the JCR way". Alternatively, if for example you need to have items belong
in multiple categories, you can use an array property. For example: --categories ----category1
------@name=category1 ----category2 ------@name=category2 --items ----item1 ------@categories=[category1,
category2] I think that would be pleasing enough ;). Cheers, Felix Alex Leshinsky <aleshinsky@iname.com>
wrote: There’s an eerie feeling in me that this question has been asked and answered a million
times. Being in the grip of my decades long RDB programming, I can’t seem to decide what
is the “JCR way” to deal with this: I need to associate certain objects, lets call them
“items”, with a classification named “category”. Categories have a hierarchical structure
and sit in a tree outside items. An item can be associated with any node in the Category tree.
I’m awa
 re that David calls IDs evil. So, how do I model that without risking to burn in hell? Many
thanks! Alex Leshinsky

Alex Leshinsky