jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Reijn <j.re...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: GC and performance
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2012 17:35:33 GMT
Hi,

see my comments inline:

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Francisco Carriedo Scher
<fcarriedos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am running JR in the following environment, a file is saved on a
> repository and then copied to another one through a GET method (the same
> way a FileInputStream can be provided, an InputStream comming from the HTTP
> connection). Memory, bandwitdh and CPU are enough and powerful, and it
> iniatilly completes about 15 / 16 transactions as described. But after an
> hour it comes down to 8-10 and after one hour more it keeps on 1-2.

How are you handling the file upload / copy? I've seen such slowdowns
mostly if a JCR session is reused and not refreshed or logged out.

> I am not running garbage collection as i assumed it does affect only to the
> space on disk, not the persistence manager, but looking about possible
> causes of such degradation on performance, misunderstanding the GC role
> could be an argument.

Yes the Garbage collector on the datastore is only for disk space
usage and not so much for performance.

> Could anyone please state if not running the GC does affect further than
> the space on disk?

AFAIK the answer to that question would be no.

--
Jeroen Reijn
Solution Architect

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com

http://about.me/jeroenreijn