jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From pjm56 <hermes.pj...@gmail.com>
Subject OCM and general NoSQL confusion
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:12:18 GMT
Dear Jackrabbiters,

I am in the process of becoming a NoSQL convert, after ten years working
with Oracle & friends.

However, I am still in the slightly bewildered stage, and would like your
help.  Firstly I'd like some help deciding whether I am even walking the
right path, and then some specifics on JCR OCM.

I am writing a system which has a bunch of "Job Templates" - you can think
of these as record cards, all rather alike, but the exact content can
vary.  So they are documents, I think, in pretty much the classic
document-store way.  Note that these are just POJO domain objects, with no
object references to each other or any other objects in the system.

I would ideally like to have these templates in a shared repository,
potentially with some hierarchical naming (like JCRs paths), and the
ability to load/save, overwrite new versions, and "go back in time" to
retrieve old historic versions.  I'd like access to be guaranteed
consistent and transactional if possible.

In my ideal world, I can take my POJOs and stash them in the store without
doing any mapping (i.e. it's schemaless), and preferable without having to
do anything too nasty to my POJOs (such as post-compile steps, or using
overly tightly-coupled annotations).

My gut instinct is that Jackrabbit OCM, with JCR annotations, is a way to
do this.
I have also done a bit of reading on the OrientDB Object Database (excuse
me if I just swore!).

Am I roughly on the right track here, or am I fundamentally
misunderstanding everything?  As I say, I am new to NoSQL, so please pardon
me if I am living in a dream land!

In Jackrabbit OCM is for me, then please could you tell me how I can get
it?  I can see that it's been moved off onto a new branch, but I had a
quick hunt around on JAR finder and could only see an OCM JAR for version
1.4... is there a newer version or are we supposed to use source?

Kindest regards!
James P M