jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: OCM and general NoSQL confusion
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:27:01 GMT
Hello,

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM, pjm56 <hermes.pjm56@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Jackrabbiters,
>
> I am in the process of becoming a NoSQL convert, after ten years working
> with Oracle & friends.
>
> However, I am still in the slightly bewildered stage, and would like your
> help.  Firstly I'd like some help deciding whether I am even walking the
> right path, and then some specifics on JCR OCM.
>
> I am writing a system which has a bunch of "Job Templates" - you can think
> of these as record cards, all rather alike, but the exact content can
> vary.  So they are documents, I think, in pretty much the classic
> document-store way.  Note that these are just POJO domain objects, with no
> object references to each other or any other objects in the system.
>
> I would ideally like to have these templates in a shared repository,
> potentially with some hierarchical naming (like JCRs paths), and the
> ability to load/save, overwrite new versions, and "go back in time" to
> retrieve old historic versions.  I'd like access to be guaranteed
> consistent and transactional if possible.
>
> In my ideal world, I can take my POJOs and stash them in the store without
> doing any mapping (i.e. it's schemaless), and preferable without having to
> do anything too nasty to my POJOs (such as post-compile steps, or using
> overly tightly-coupled annotations).
>
> My gut instinct is that Jackrabbit OCM, with JCR annotations, is a way to
> do this.

Opinions do divert here a bit I guess : Some think plain JCR should be
enough and rather refrain from OCM.

> I have also done a bit of reading on the OrientDB Object Database (excuse
> me if I just swore!).
>
> Am I roughly on the right track here, or am I fundamentally
> misunderstanding everything?  As I say, I am new to NoSQL, so please pardon
> me if I am living in a dream land!
>
> In Jackrabbit OCM is for me, then please could you tell me how I can get
> it?  I can see that it's been moved off onto a new branch, but I had a
> quick hunt around on JAR finder and could only see an OCM JAR for version
> 1.4... is there a newer version or are we supposed to use source?

I am trying to free as much time as I can to work on the OCM branch,
and hope to be able to tag a 2.x version next week

Regards Ard

--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com