jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Wright <...@otnb.com>
Subject Save to repository instead of checkin
Date Mon, 07 May 2012 12:18:05 GMT
Hi Folks,

Trying to confirm if jackrabbit/jcr supports a "save to repository" versus
just a checkin or checkpoint?

Here is a scenario.

We have file that is checked out by John. The file is version 1.0. The file
is locked and the user is making changes in an online web portal. The user
needs the ability to save the file to the repository, but not just checkin
or checkpoint. The reason is if John has the file checked-out for 3 days
and another user tries to access the file they should get version 1.0 and
not any of the saved versions.

almost something like this:

1.0 ( checked out by John )
1.1 ( saved to repository )
1.2 ( saved to repository )
1.3 ( saved to repository )
1.4 ( saved to repository )
1.5 ( saved to repository )
1.6 ( saved to repository )
2.0 ( checked in by John)

So if anyone request a read-only copy of this file before John checked it
back in they would get version 1.0. More importantly if John decided to
undo-checkout the system rolls back to 1.0. Only when John checks in the
file does a user get 2.0. In reality once John checked-in and created 2.0
then 1.1 through 1.6 could be removed.

Looking through the spec
http://www.day.com/maven/jsr170/javadocs/jcr-2.0/index.html it seems like
some combination of activity, label or predecessors could be used to
achieve this. Just wondering if jackrabbit handles something like this
natively before we tried to build anything.

We are using Jackrabbit 2.4.1 on OS X with JBOSS 7.

Jo