jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Steeg Werkmans <werkmansst...@gmail.com>
Subject JCR application design
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:56:37 GMT
All,

I've made my first steps with jackrabbit for the proof of concept part of
our project. Fine. Now comes the real stuff... And the question I ask
myself is how to best design my application when the backend is no longer
JDBC, but JCR (well we may use JDBC, but it will be under the hood)...

So I've been googling a bit and browsing trough the documentation and I'm
still confused.. There is the OCM part of jackrabbit, my initial thoughts
were, nice this is what I need! But then I continue my search and encounter
articles that explain how content should come first, structure is perhaps
not needed and should come later. And other articles go down the same route
and explain that OCM is actually just overhead, because unstructured is the
way to go. So I wonder what's the deal. I guess there is no right answer
and it all depends. I'm also not looking for a right answers. Just perhaps
some pointers and ideas about how to design applications that are persisted
in a JCR backend. Our application is a to explain things easily a web
application that has functionality similar to a "file explorer". So JCR is
a natural match for the business domain.

However.. even then. If you have unstructured information, where do those
"OCM is overhead" and "learn to love unstructured" people put their
business logic? Do they all just expose their javax.jcr.Node in their
front-end logic? Or is business logic a good use case to introduce an OCM
intermediate layer? Or is JCR aimed at content-only applications and do we
forget about N-tier best practices when it comes to JCR?

Another interesting question is, if I am given some kind of reassurance
that OCM is perhaps not so evil after all, would I make a generic mapping
(to be quite rude: store the Nodes in a Hashtable-like structure).. or is
it okay to map JCR unstructured content to a structured java OO model?

Best regards,

S Werkmans