jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Christian Stocker <christian.stoc...@liip.ch>
Subject Re: dealing with large result sets
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 07:46:36 GMT
Ok, that made me wondering and I did some short tests on my macbook,
there are approx. 600'000 nodes, which match those queries

With xpath, without ordering

<d:searchrequest xmlns:d="DAV:"
xmlns:dcr="http://www.day.com/jcr/webdav/1.0">
<dcr:xpath>

/jcr:root/article//*[@phpcr:class = 'Own\ApiBundle\Document\Article']

</dcr:xpath>
<d:limit>
     <d:nresults>10</d:nresults>
</d:limit>
</d:searchrequest>

1st run: 455 ms
2nd run:  42 ms

With xpath, with order by

<d:searchrequest xmlns:d="DAV:"
xmlns:dcr="http://www.day.com/jcr/webdav/1.0">
<dcr:xpath>

/jcr:root/article//*[@phpcr:class = 'Own\ApiBundle\Document\Article']
order by @firstImportDate

</dcr:xpath>
<d:limit>
     <d:nresults>10</d:nresults>
</d:limit>
</d:searchrequest>

1st run: 2555 ms
2nd run:   16 ms

Those numbers seem to be reasonable.

With SQL2 without ordering:

<D:searchrequest xmlns:D="DAV:">
	<JCR-SQL2>
		<![CDATA[
		SELECT data.* FROM [nt:base] AS data WHERE data.[phpcr:class] =
'Own\ApiBundle\Document\Article'  AND  ISDESCENDANTNODE(data, '/article')
		]]>
	</JCR-SQL2>
	<D:limit>
		<D:nresults>10</D:nresults>
	</D:limit>
</D:searchrequest>

1st run: 2'006'634 ms (33 minutes.)

>From the log

 SQL2 SELECT took 2004498 ms. selector: [nt:base] AS data, columns:
[data.jcr:primaryType], constraint: (data.[phpcr:class] =
'Own\ApiBundle\Document\Article') AND (ISDESCENDANTNODE(data,
[/article])), offset 0, limit 10
 SQL2 SORT took 1479 ms.
 SQL2 QUERY execute took 2006634 ms. native sort is false.

With those results, I didn't even try a 2nd time (caches are full
anyway) or with ordering.

Something seems to be quite wrong here. If you want more measurements,
just tell me

Greetings

chregu

On 10.04.12 11:55, Christian Stocker wrote:

> On 10.04.12 11:51, Ard Schrijvers wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Christian Stocker
>> <christian.stocker@liip.ch> wrote:

sets. A lot of work is not done inside Lucene, which will probably not be fixed soon (or maybe
never inside 2.x). However I think its important to do some intermediate improvements.

some ideas that are feasible to get implemented in a shorter time period than waiting for
Oak:

check if the count is too high to determine if I should even bother running the search. Aka
in most cases a search leading to 100+ results means that who ever did the search needs to
further narrow it down.

>>> I read the code and also read this
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-2959 and it looks to me that
>>> jackrabbit always sorts the result set by itself and not in lucene (or
>>> maybe additionally). This makes it slow even if you have a limit set,
>>> because it first sorts all nodes (fetching it from the PM if necessary),
>>> then does the limit. Maybe I have missed something but real life tests
>>> showed exactly this behaviour.
>>
>> Ah, I don't know about that part: We always sticked to xpath queries :
>> Sorting is done in Lucene (more precisely, in some Lucene exensions in
>> jr, but are equally fast) for at least xpath, I am quite sure
>
> Is the search part done differently in SQL2 and XPath? Can't remember ;)

>>> That's what we do now, but it doesn't help (as said above) if we have
>>> thousends of results which have to be ordered first.
>>
>> And the second sort is also slow? The first sort is also slow with
>> Lucene, as Lucene needs to load all terms to sort on from FS in
>> memory. However, consecutive searches are fast. We don't have problems
>> for resultsets sorting for a million hits
>
> It definitively loaded all nodes from the PM before sorting it. The
> lucene part itself was fast enough, that wasn't the issue.

>>> That would help us a lot, since we currently don't use the ACLs of
>>> Jackrabbit, so the lucene count would be pretty correct for our use case.
>>
>> Yes, however, you would have to hook into jr itself to get this done
>
> Yep, saw that, that's somewhere deep in the code. That's why I didn't
> try to adress that yet
>
> chregu
>

>> Regards Ard
>>

>>> chregu

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ..

takes longer than X, it should just fail. This should be a global setting, but ideally it
should be possible to override this on a per query basis.