jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Lukas Kahwe Smith <...@pooteeweet.org>
Subject dealing with large result sets
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:21:18 GMT
Hi,

Currently I see some big issues with queries that return large result sets. A lot of work
is not done inside Lucene, which will probably not be fixed soon (or maybe never inside 2.x).
However I think its important to do some intermediate improvements.

Here are some suggestions I have. I hope we can brainstorm together on some ideas that are
feasible to get implemented in a shorter time period than waiting for Oak:

1) there should be a way to get a count

This way if I need to do a query that needs to be ordered, I can first check if the count
is too high to determine if I should even bother running the search. Aka in most cases a search
leading to 100+ results means that who ever did the search needs to further narrow it down.

I guess the most sensible thing would be to simply offer a way to do SELECT COUNT(*) FROM
..

2) a way to automatically stop long running queries

It would be great if one could define a timeout for queries. If a query takes longer than
X, it should just fail. This should be a global setting, but ideally it should be possible
to override this on a per query basis.

3) .. ?

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith