jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Christian Stocker <christian.stoc...@liip.ch>
Subject Re: Boosting newer documents
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 09:27:15 GMT
Hi all

(crossposting to dev, since it's a potential feature improvement)

After digging into the code, it looks like we have to add a possibility
to specify not only a fixed boost number, but maybe also be able to
specify a method in the indexing.xml, which gets called when a Document
is inserted (like in
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4724451/boost-fresh-documents-with-lucene/4737138)
or even add our own Scoring like in
http://www.lucenetutorial.com/advanced-topics/scoring.html

Before we dig more into this: Would this be the correct way? Is this
even possible in Jackrabbit without having to change too much? Or is
there an easier way to give "newer" Documents more weight than older once?

Greetings and thanks for any hint

chregu

On 02.12.11 18:08, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2011, at 18:03 , Alex Parvulescu wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> you are probably referring to a sort, rather than a boost, right?
>>
>> if 2 documents rank the same for a search, sorting by the date would get
>> you what you need.
>

> no .. we actually want to boost.
> with "ORDER BY score, date" the date would only be a tie breaker.
>
> we really want to significantly boost the score of any document that is more recent.
> the use case is a news site, where in most cases people will not care about content from
a year ago if there is content about the same topic from a week ago.

--
Liip AG  //  Feldstrasse 133 //  CH-8004 Zurich
Tel +41 43 500 39 81 // Mobile +41 76 561 88 60