jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jcr-1.0 jar Day Spec License
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:47:28 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Ryan Hochstetler
<ryan.hochstetler@jetisre.com> wrote:
> That's the version we have.  It doesn't include (that I can tell) the
> more liberal addendum that the JCR 2.0 API is licensed under (
> http://www.day.com/content/dam/day/downloads/jsr283/LICENSE.txt ).
> Legal seem fixated on Clause #1 of the jcr-1.0.jar LICENSE.txt, and are
> questioning our rights to field a 1.x version of Jackrabbit.

I filed an internal issue to have the Day/Adobe web team restore the
missing license file. Meanwhile I've included a copy of the JCR 1.0
spec license addendum. See also
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-50 for Apache discussion
about this.

> I'm sorry to be a pain, but what am I missing?  Are they just misreading
> Clause #2? I do realize the absurdity of asking you for legal advice here.
> At this point, it's either ask the community for a solution, or
> backport Jackrabbit 2.0 into this release.

As you note, it's better to listen to your lawyers than a bunch of
laymen on a mailing list. :-)

Note that Jackrabbit 1.x has just recently reached end of life status
(see http://jackrabbit.apache.org/downloads.html#Downloads-v16). I
would encourage you to upgrade to 2.x, since we don't plan to release
any more bug fixes or other enhancements to Jackrabbit 1.x.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

=====

    In addition to the permissions granted under the Specification
    License, Day Management AG hereby grants to You a perpetual,
    worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
    license to reproduce, publicly display, publicly perform,
    sublicense, and distribute unmodified copies of the Content
    Repository for Java Technology API (JCR 1.0) Java Archive (JAR)
    file ("jcr-1.0.jar") and to make, have made, use, offer to sell,
    sell, import, and otherwise transfer said file on its own or
    as part of a larger work that makes use of the JCR API.

    With respect to any patent claims covered by this license
    that would be infringed by all technically feasible implementations
    of the Specification, such license is conditioned upon your
    offering on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms,
    to any party seeking it from You, a perpetual, non-exclusive,
    non-transferable, worldwide license under Your patent rights
    that are or would be infringed by all technically feasible
    implementations of the Specification to develop, distribute
    and use a Compliant Implementation.