jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Lukas Kahwe Smith <...@pooteeweet.org>
Subject Re: multilanguage best practices
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 07:48:10 GMT

On Sep 1, 2011, at 11:06 , Sascha Rodekamp wrote:

> Hi David, hi List
>
> i had some thoughts about the same problem. What is best practice for multi
> language nodes.
>
> Maybe you can share some experience you made during the last month with your
> solution?
>
> I prefer the "One Tree with Translation" solution, because if i have i.e.
> product contents in different languages it is possible to switch between the
> languages and simply determine a fallback.
>
> A Product Gizmo52 can have a description in eng, de, fr the node tree could
> look like:
>
> /products/gizmo52/eng
> /products/gizmo52/de
> /products/gizmo52/fr
>
> I could also easily determine which description languages are available for
> the product gizmo52 (more easily than with a different tree for each
> language).
>
> I also thought of a proper way to map this structure to OCM classes.
> I.E. a content object with a collection of language objects?!
>
> What do you think?

think that we are now settling on an approach where every node has subnodes with the translations.
while these nodes should still be structured sensibly, the actual structure on the website
is separate and consists of references to the actual content nodes. this way its still possible
to have different structures for different languages. we are going with this approach since
we want to use the same approach for handling driving different websites from the same content.

in this way there is no difference between how to handle mobile vs. desktop and english vs.
german. all are just separate navigation tree's referencing translated nodes. note that if
content node A has subnodes with translations "en", "de" and "it" we will always reference
content node A and just decide based on the context which language to use. now if a content
editor wants to create a separate navigation tree for german users of the mobile site the
context will obviously dictate that we will try to get the "german" subnode, but if unavailable
then we can apply fallback rules (aka if an editor decides to reference a content node that
isnt translated to german on the german mobile site, then the end result will just be that
english content will be shown).

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
mls@pooteeweet.org