jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Bruch <marcel.br...@gmail.com>
Subject Using Jackrabbit/JCR as IDE workspace data backend
Date Sun, 25 Sep 2011 13:40:39 GMT
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice whether Jackrabbit might be a good choice for my problem. Any
comments on this are greatly appreciated.

= Short description of the challenge =

We've built a Eclipse based tool that analyzes java source files and stores its analysis results
in additional files. The workspace  potentially has a hundred or more projects and each project
may have up to a thousand of files. Say, there will be 100 projects and 1000 java source files
per project in a single workspace. Then, there will be 100*1000 = 100.000 files.

On a full workspace build, all these 100k files have to be compiled (by the IDE) and analyzed
(by our tool) at once and the analysis results have to be dumped to disk rather fast.
But the most common use case is that a single file is changed several times per minute and
thus gets frequently analyzed.

At the moment, the analysis results are dumped on disk as plain json files; one json file
for each java class. Each json file is around 5 to 100kb in size; some files grow up to several
megabytes (<10mb), these files have a few hundred JSON complex nodes (which might perfectly
map to nodes in JCR).

= Question =

We would like to change the simple file system approach by a more sophisticated approach and
I wonder whether Jackrabbit may be a suitable backend for this use case. Since we map all
our data to JSON already, it looks like Jackrabbit/JCR is a perfect fit for this but I can't
say for sure. What's your suggestion? Is Jackrabbit capable to quickly load and store json-like
data - even if 100k files (nodes + their sub-nodes) have to be updated very in very short
time?

Thanks for your suggestions. I've you need more details on what operations are performed or
how data looks like, I would be glad to take your questions.

Marcel
--
Eclipse Code Recommenders:
 w www.eclipse.org/recommenders