jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: AW: Incremental/deduplicating versioning
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:57:15 GMT
Hi,

>The DataStore can't do such a thing, cause it knows nothing about
>versions - just take a look at the DataStore interface.

The DataStore doesn't necessarily need to know about the versions to be
able to better compress the data. For example, if a data store
implementation splits up the binaries into smaller blocks, it could re-use
blocks. Or the implementation could detect where to best split (using a
rolling checksum similar to rsync). In my view, there is no need to change
the data store API to better compress the data.

>If you need such a thing, it has to be implemented on a higher level -
>within your application

That's also an option.

Regards,
Thomas