jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Johannes Stark" <sta...@gmx.de>
Subject Adding nodes with references within a single transaction via webdav
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 13:45:41 GMT
Hello everybody,

I recently joined the development team from jackalope [1] and phpcr-odm [2].

What we are doing in the Jackalope project is to implement a php adaption of the JSR-283 API.
Currently we use Jackrabbit as our JCR and access it via webdav.

In turn phpcr-odm is an object document mapper that bases upon Jackalope to store PHP objects
in Jackrabbit easily. Our final target is a content management framework on top of Symfony
2 [3].

So much for that but the reason for this post is the following:

What we definitely need for our CMF are references between JCR nodes. E.g. you would like
to assign pages to menu items or you would like to have a picture on several pages and so
on.

But one big problem for us is that you are not able to reference a node until it is persisted.
We also had a look at transactions: same issue. Referenceable nodes will get their uuid not
before the transaction is committed. So we are not able to persist two or more content items
with references to each other within the same transaction. Well this behavior is totally in
accordance to the spec.

Doe's anybody here have similar problems in the Java world? Were you able to manage this issue?
And how?
Are there any more people how would be happy about a different Jackrabbit behavior in the
way that inside a transaction new referenceable nodes will get their uuid immediately and
will be referenceable immediately? In my view this should be in accordance to the spec, too.
Are there any reasons that speaks against it?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Johannes Stark

[1] https://github.com/jackalope/jackalope
[2] https://github.com/doctrine/phpcr-odm