jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Jürgen Baier <juerp...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: repository synchronization
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 23:03:48 GMT
2011/5/2 sam lee <skynare@gmail.com>:
> Yah, it looks like the fastest way of migrating data is to transport the
> entire repository filesystem.
> http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/BackupAndMigration#Low%20Level%20Backup
>
> But, it'd be nice if there's  a way to selectively migrate some path (of
> repository).

That is also what I aim for...

> Do you know of data transport API? JCR doesn't seem to define any.
> By transport API, I mean something like this:
> "transport /content/foo/bar/*   from localhost:8080  to
> saml.com:3040/content/foo/bar/copy/"
>
> Would you use RMI for this?

I do not currently know any transport API, I would do that (because of
the infrastructure I use jackrabbit in) via EJBs. A naive approach
could be iterating through the subtree_to_copy on the source machine
and creating (via an EJB on the remote machine) the nodes with
properties/versions/... on the target machine. I am sure you could do
the same thing by accessing the remote repo via RMI. I used RMI-access
some time ago and it was quite nice, but due to security concerns I
deactivated the RMI servlet in my setup.

Using a SyncFactory that returns either an RMI- or an
EJB-transport-wrapper, this could nicely be solved so that once it is
done (RMI and EJB) people can use what they want. I would be willing
to do the EJB-stuff, and also help/work on the basic syncing as I
consider that an important thing.

I am aware that the EJB-thing is a "custom" wish by me, since
jackrabbit comes with the RMI-access out-of-the-box, so the RMI-sync
would be the default method.