jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Lukas Kahwe Smith <...@pooteeweet.org>
Subject Re: Scalable, failsafe and distributed Jackrabbit setup?
Date Mon, 16 May 2011 13:28:05 GMT

On 13.05.2011, at 16:54, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> On 16.11.2010, at 19:26, Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> On 11/16/10 6:56 AM, Christian Stocker wrote:
>>> So what do you think? Is my approach feasible? Am I overthinking it and
>>> the first approach is by far good enough? I don't say, that I need the
>>> full setup yet, I just don't want to get into trouble later, when we
>>> actually would need it and have to refactor a lot.
>>
>> I understand your concerns, but as long as your CMF instances are using the API
>> consistently you shouldn't have to worry much about refactoring at some later stage,
>> whereas this doesn't mean that you don't have to exchange your persistence implementation
>> at some later stage and hence I would suggest that you assume from the very beginning
that you will have
>> to migrate your data from one implementation into another one.
>>
>> Re the actual persistence implementation I don't think there is a one-fits-all solution,
>> but rather it depends on what kind of data you are dealing with and what kind of
queries
>> you want to make and as you are pointing out write versus read access, whereas with
>> webapps becoming more interactive I think that write access becomes much more important
>> than today and hence its important to keep this mind re your setup.
>

> FYI
>
> http://blog.liip.ch/archive/2011/05/04/how-to-make-jackrabbit-globally-distributable-fail-safe-and-scalable-in-one-go.html
>
> One of the things we are looking to do here is to use this setup to have a spare slave
with jackrabbit running on some small machine, so that in case our data center disappears
forcing a rebuild we already have a clone able [1] setup ready. One thing we want to ensure
is that this clone is consistent.

> I have only found docs for CRX on this, but it seems to also work with a stock Jackrabbit
to do Lucene index checks on startup:
> http://dev.day.com/content/kb/home/Crx/CrxSystemAdministration/HowToCheckLuceneIndex.html
>
> I wonder if there is already some way to trigger these checks on a running Jackrabbit?

should have read the CheckIndex docs to the end:
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/org/apache/lucene/index/CheckIndex.html

java -ea:org.apache.lucene... org.apache.lucene.index.CheckIndex pathToIndex [-fix] [-segment
X] [-segment Y]

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
mls@pooteeweet.org