jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "kazim_ssuet@yahoo.com" <kazim_ss...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit Reference Lookup
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 17:02:21 GMT

Stefan Guggisberg wrote:

> yes. references are stored on the target. for every mix:referenceable node
> currently being referenced by 1-n reference properties there's one record
> in the REFS table. that record stores the collection of property id's
> refering to the corresponding mix:referenceable node.

So if I use weak references, would there be a seperate record for the
reference? in REFS or any other table?
I understand that referential integrity will not be enforced in that case.

Stefan Guggisberg wrote:

> both forward and reverse lookups are highly efficient.

Can you explain how forward lookup is done when there is no pointer to
referenced node in referencing node data? Only way I can think of is to
triverse all rows in REFS table along with their blob untill you find
referencing node id in the blob.

Stefan Guggisberg wrote:

> the drawback of this approach is limited scalability. 10k and more
> references to any particular node slow down write performance, i.e. adding
> an additional reference to a target node already being referenced by lets
> say 100k properties is relatively slow since the the entire collection of
> referer id's needs to be stored.

I suppose this will not be an issue with weak references, assuming there is
no record of reference in REFS or any other table. Am I right?

Thanks,
KS