jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Markus Joschko <markus.josc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to mix structured and unstructured content on a node?
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 14:11:28 GMT
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Alexander Klimetschek
<aklimets@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 04.04.11 15:16, "Markus Joschko" <markus.joschko@gmail.com> wrote:
>>When the name is the id I would have expected jcr to check against the
>>definition, notice that the more specific defintion
>>of the property does not match the input and throw an error.
>>
>>Otherwise nt:unstructured is kind of dangerous as it silently swallows
>>everything thrown at it.
>
> The idea is that once you introduce a residual property or child node
> definition, you make it "unstructured", including descendant node types.
>
> IIUC the JCR node typing is in general not allowing to put on more
> constraints on a sub node type - which is in line with how OO in most
> languages work. Otherwise finding e.g. all "nt:unstructured" nodes in the
> repo, but then not being allowed to change properties freely, because some
> of the nodes are of a sub-type with more restrictions, would defeat the
> purpose of the inheritance model.

That theoretically means, that a node inheriting from nt:unstructure
shouldn't have
any properties because it will always override the catch all of nt:unstructure.
How is validation handled? If my subnode defines a simple string
property but limits what can be entered.
Is validation ignored when getting an instance as nt:unstructured or
is the illusion destroyed?