jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Markus Blaurock <blaur...@dig.de>
Subject Re: Add new nodes to a cluster
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2011 13:22:16 GMT
We are using jackrabbit in production running in a cluster.
The journal contains no "data", it is only used for keeping
the lucene-indexes in sync.
-> when adding a new node to the cluster you are building a new
lucene index from scratch. The journal is needed from the time on
 the new node  is added to the cluster.
Therefore: if it takes long the build a new index, make shure the
janitor does not delete journal-entries created after starting the new node.

We also were e a bit worried about this comment about
"easily adding cluster nodes" in the wiki, but we started neverthless.
And it worked, it all breaks down to having an index that fits your
persistent data.

Markus

Am 18.04.2011 11:04, schrieb Jeroen Reijn:
> I'm also not 100% sure, but I can second Alex his answer.
> >From what I've seen the new cluster node will start from the persisted data
> and will continue from there on with using the journal.
>
> Jeroen
>
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Michael Wechner <michael.wechner@wyona.com
>> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am not sure if you received an answer on this already, but it seems
>> somebody asked the
>> same some time ago
>>
>> http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/L1HBQddB3PYM2Fsde3ZL
>>
>> (with one not totally certain answer).
>>
>> On the other you might just give it a try and check what it will do.
>>
>> I would also be interested in your findings.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> On 4/14/11 11:20 AM, Christian Stocker wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> We're currently building a jackrabbit setup with quite some new content
>>> every day. We also want to use clustering and beeing able to add new
>>> instances should the need arise. Reading
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Clustering that seems to be not that
>>> easy (adding a completely new instance) without having to replay the
>>> whole journal from the beginning (which can take ages, of course).
>>>
>>> Is there an easy, recommended way to add new instances without having to
>>> replay the whole journal? In the "Janitor" section, there's the remark
>>>
>>> "If the janitor is enabled then you loose the possibility to easily add
>>> cluster nodes. (It is still possible but takes detailed knowledge of
>>> Jackrabbit.)"
>>>

>>> Is this still the case? What "Detailed knowledge" do we need, to just
>>> "clone" a running instance and add that to the cluster?
>>>
>>> (using the janitor would certainly make sense in our use case)
>>>
>>> Any hint is very appreciated
>>>
>>> christian

mit freundlichen Grüßen
Markus Blaurock

--
DIG GmbH
Neckarstraße 1/5, 78727 Oberndorf am Neckar, Fon: +49 7423 8750 62