jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From aimran <aimra...@gmail.com>
Subject Multiple workspaces and access control question
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2011 20:58:04 GMT
hi,

Maybe I am approaching this the wrong way; but here's what I am trying to
do:

My app will have 1-n workspaces.
Requirement 1: Each workspace will have its own set of users. User's from
one workspace cannot access other workspaces.
Requirement 2: In some exceptional cases, users may access other workspace

To highlight this with an example: say the workspaces are Legal, Marketing
and Sales. They will have their own users and they cannot see each others
stuff. Now a new workspace Cafeteria is added, that users from all other
workspaces should be able to see [and perhaps write comments on the menu
etc] that workspace.

Since, Jackrabbit gives everyone read access to all workspaces, using the
DefaultSecurityManager was not an option. I ended up using
UserPerWorkspaceSecurityManager, which now allows me to fulfill requirement
1.
However I am puzzling over how to get to requirement 2.

I tried giving a user from workspace 1 access to workspace 2, but obviously
it does not work, since users are per workspace. I tried using
DefaultSecurityManager, but that then gives everyone access to all
workspaces.

So, is there a mechanism to fulfill the requirements or is it asking too
much of jackrabbit ??

PS: Please don't ask me to use a single workspace. Due to requirements of
total isolation, strong file system level security requirements and possible
future migration of workspaces independently to other machines, our
architects have decided on separate workspaces per community of users. I
cannot change that requirement.