jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "kazim_ssuet@yahoo.com" <kazim_ss...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: RMI problem
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2011 20:48:18 GMT

EJP-2 wrote:

> Jukka Zitting wrote:
>>
>> By default the RMI server binds itself just to a single IP address,
>>
> That's not correct.
>
> By default it binds itself to 0.0.0.0, i.e. INADDR_ANY, just like any
> other listening socket does, unless you tell it otherwise by providing an
> RMIServerSocketFactory that uses an explicit bind-address.
>
> The issue here is not the bind address but the hostname embedded in the
> stub, which is controlled by java.rmi.server.hostname and which has to be
> set in the presence of misconfigured DNS or /etc/hosts files or sometimes
> in multi-homed hosts. As discussed in the Sun RMI FAQ item A.1.
>
> NB java.rmi.server.hostname has no effect on the bind-address.
>
> EJP

Thanks for the hints. I had slightly different issue but the hints helped.

I can login now (half the battle), but still need couple of explanations.

Host running JR (Jackrabbit) has two ip addresses, 172.16.1.xxx and
172.16.1.yyy
In remote client machine it was defined as 172.16.1.xxx, while the hosts
file on JR machine had  172.16.1.yyy for the hostname...I changed the entry
on remote client and I can login.

Question 1: Is an IP address picked by a listening port? Shouldn't it accept
connections on both IP addresses that host has?
Jukka's post ("By default the RMI server binds itself just to a single IP
address") probably answers that, but just to clearify, is that IP address
picked from the hosts file?

Question 2: Why is port that I define as "org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.port"
not being used?

I found this line in log (RMIConnectorC A   ADMC0026I: The RMI Connector is
available at port 2812), while "org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.port" is equal to
2800, which I set using following option in websphere console:
(Application servers > server1 > Process Definition > Java Virtual Machine >
Custom Properties)

Is setting the connection port feature not available in 1.6.4? If it is not,
then how would I define a single port for RMI connections rather than using
default anonymous port, in case there is a firewall on jackrabbit host?

Does seeing this message in log (RMIConnectorC A   ADMC0026I: The RMI
Connector is available at port 2812) mean Jackrabbit is using a preset
single port and not anonymous port for RMI logins? if it is, then where is
this being set (if not thru org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.port)?

Thanks,
KS.