jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Rakesh Vidyadharan <rak...@sptci.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit & database
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2011 22:17:01 GMT

On 5 Mar 2011, at 15:26, Reza Aliakbari wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the Jackrabbit WAR file and configured it with a database(I
> defined PersistenceManager at repository.xml). I hoped to see my nodes and
> main information there at my database but I saw there 4 tables BINVAL,
> BUNDLE, NAMES and REFS that couldn't find any meaning full information
> there.

This is certainly the case if you use the Bundle persistence managers.  These persist the
entire node (along with its properties) as one blob into the data store (note I refer to it
as data store and not database).  You can try using the non bundle PM's, which may give you
more granular tables (I have not used them so am not sure).

> I want to know whether it is possible to query the database of Jackrabbit
> without using its API and see what's going on? for example is it possible to
> see the list of actions that has applied on a node? Where are such infos
> persisted?

That would be against the principles on which the JCR API was developed.  The goal was to
develop a vendor and persistence neutral API that can be used to access you content.  The
data store can be a relational database, a file system, some other network storage, or a combination
of these.  If your need is to access a regular RDBMS, I would question your decision to use
JCR/JackRabbit in the first place.

> My goal is to be able to fetch all activities and data without needing to
> access Jackrabbit API.

Note that you should try as far as possible to not use the JackRabbit API, and use only the
JCR API.

Rakesh