jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: organizations using Jackrabbit in production environment
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:53:53 GMT
On 3/15/11 11:12 AM, Rakesh Vidyadharan wrote:
> On 15 Mar 2011, at 03:19, Michael Wechner wrote:

>>> http://press.uchicago.edu/ - Built using Magnolia 4.4.2 which uses JackRabbit
1.6.4 as the data store.

>>> We are using the file system blob store.  The blob store tends to create a ton
of directories which makes file system backup/restore quite slow.
>> Did you consider introducing a "fail over environment"? We had similar problems,
but by "mirroring" the data (and application) we don't have the problem of a slow restore
in the first place, but rather just switch the environment (and then do the restore for the
system which was previously the master). Hence the backup
>> is only for the worst case if the master and mirror should be down for whatever reasons.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Michael
> Yes.  In fact Magnolia uses distinct author and public instances concept (with the ability
to run multiple public instances per author instance).  In our case, we have one author and
two public instances, which means our data is always replicated across three servers.  However,
we still need to maintain backup processes in case of catastrophic failures, and the recovery
process is only for such a case.

right and it's good if people are aware that such a restore can take
quite a long time such that
they are not surprised when such a catastrophic failure happens.
> That said, the existence of mirrors does not remove the issue with so many directories
and files. Simple archiving and unarchiving (once in a while we need to do that to update
our development and qa instances) tend to take much longer than they should because of this
issue.  It is not a deal breaker, but it could have been better.

you mean the actual implementation of the replication could be better?
Beside improving the actual implementation the question is what are the
alternatives, e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_%28computer_science%29

?

Also for example re QA and development environments an incremental
approach could also work by
replicating incrementally as well instead always starting from scratch
and after using it, just reverting the changes (like for example with
SVN). But you are right a "fresh checkout" will always take some time.

Cheers

Michael