jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: organizations using Jackrabbit in production environment
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:19:08 GMT
On 3/15/11 12:19 AM, Rakesh Vidyadharan wrote:
> On 14 Mar 2011, at 15:10, kazim_ssuet@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are there any organizations/companies that use jackrabbit as their
>> production content management system? Can somebody name a few? and how many
>> files might there be in their system?
>>
>> And which approach is better db blob storage or file system storage and what
>> are the pros/cons of each?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> KS.
> http://press.uchicago.edu/ - Built using Magnolia 4.4.2 which uses JackRabbit 1.6.4 as
the data store.

> We are using the file system blob store.  The blob store tends to create a ton of directories
which makes file system backup/restore quite slow.

Did you consider introducing a "fail over environment"? We had similar
problems, but by "mirroring" the data (and application) we don't have
the problem of a slow restore in the first place, but rather just switch
the environment (and then do the restore for the system which was
previously the master). Hence the backup
is only for the worst case if the master and mirror should be down for
whatever reasons.

Cheers

Michael

>    I believe the partitioning scheme used assumes millions of files, which does not behave
well for smaller size repositories.  For instance, we have only about 15K files in our system,
and for the most part each file ends up two levels deep in a directory structure with no other
files at that same level.  In other words, for each file there are two extra directories in
addition to the file itself.  Hopefully, JR will introduce some sort of configuration that
would control the directory partitioning scheme they use.