jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jzitt...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit dependencies
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 13:00:26 GMT
Hi,

On 02/02/2011 01:43 PM, Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> the recent addition of the netcdf library is IMO an excellent
> example. apparently it did cause classloader issues, it increased the
> size of stand-alone jackrabbit by 15% and the majority of jackrabbit
> users will probably never use it... [1]

Yes, I agree that we had a bug (that got resolved) and that the netcdf
dependency does bring in quite a bit of extra weight compared to the
functionality it adds. I wouldn't object if people want to exclude it.

My point before was mostly that such decisions (what to include/exclude)
are best made at the project level rather than separately in each
individual deployment. We are at a much better position to understand
where and how each dependency is being used, and have also tools for
tracking and documenting such decisions across releases. If there are
conflicting requirements (for example functionality vs. size), we can
always add separate packagings for different deployment targets.

--
Jukka Zitting