jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jzitt...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Query limits
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:01:47 GMT
Hi,

On 27.01.2011 18:48, Fran├žois Cassistat wrote:
> we are planning to make queries with a lot of property tests and
> boolean operators. Is there a theoretical and practical limit to the
>  size of the request?

Jackrabbit executes queries against the Lucene query index it maintains
for each workspace. The maximum number of clauses in a Lucene query is
limited to 1024 by default, but you can increase that if needed by
setting the "org.apache.lucene.maxClauseCount" system property. Even a
few hundred constraints in an XPath query should still be fine with the
default settings.

> Could there be some serious slow-down if the query is too big?

Not really. The (non-join) query execution time is much more dominated
by your content structure, distribution of search terms, the kind of
constraints you use and the number of results you expect from the query.

--
Jukka Zitting