jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: AutoCompelete
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:29:40 GMT
On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Zhou Wu <zwu_ca@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I'm trying to do some thing like
> org.apache.jackrabbit.core.query.lucene.spell.SpellChecker for autocomplete:
> When user type in the search input box, a list of words (phrases) that pops
> up like Google suggestion.  I searched on the web and got
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/120180/how-to-do-query-auto-completion-suggestions-in-lucene
> that looks like helpful. But I don't know how to start to get it work with
> Jackrabbit. Could any one give some tips? Thanks,

Afaiu, Spellchecker wouldn't fit auto completion. Auto completion is
about suggesting existing terms in the index after you typed, say
'jack'. There are some Lucene strategies on how to efficiently write
auto-completion suggestions (I do not know where references are, but
just have the 'termenum' represented as some tree, where every node is
just one 'letter', you have easy auto-completion possibilities. You
also might want to check Solr, they most likely have something for
it). However, I don't see the match with a Spellchecker, which goal is
'did you mean', kind of info (it uses ngrams for this, something you
don't need for auto-suggestion I would think).

Now, another thing is, that how would you be able to 'query'
jackrabbit for auto-completion suggestions? You should add your own
query extension right? currently, from the top of my head, for xpath
you have something like rep:similar. You might have to hook in then
rep:autocomplete or something. I don't exactly know how this works
out.

Regards Ard