jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: AutoCompelete
Date Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:11:39 GMT
On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Alexander Klimetschek
<aklimets@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 25.11.10 11:00, "Ard Schrijvers" <a.schrijvers@onehippo.com> wrote:
>>Ah, you suggest to manually keep track of the 'auto-suggest' list,
>>right? Just read them all in once, have some observer for changes, et
>>voila. That works, but I wanted to build it differently myself
>
> I already implemented it like this. The things is that the use case will
> be that you don't want to automatically build this list from some generic
> full text search index. I thought about using the Lucene index of the
> repository as source for this as well. But it turns out that you always
> want to control what is displayed during the auto completion.

I would not use all the terms from the term enum, but only the terms
belonging to some (multivalued) property. For example

myproject:tags

Perhaps this is what you actually meant in your first mail I now
realize. I only thought you would just fetch all the property values
by jcr calls, where I suggested to expose the Lucene term space (thus
probably only for some property the terms) as a hierarchical tree, for
example:

  |- p
  |   |- e
  |   `- s
  |-c
  `-r

If you type, 'ap' the suggestions are 'ape' and 'aps'

> Otherwise, how do you select the ~10 items to show for 1, 2 or 3 letter
> inputs? You need some use-case-dependent priorities for each term, for
> example the popularity of those terms gathered from the search interface
> itself.

This info is pretty much in the Lucene term space: So, you can
retrieve all the terms for some property (tags property). How often
the terms are used is also present (popularity)

Regards Ard

--
Hippo
USA  • San Francisco  185 H Street Suite B  •  Petaluma CA 94952-5100