jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Functionality to store indexes in database with jackrabbit 2.1.2 or upcoming releases.........
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:21:36 GMT
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Alexander Klimetschek
<aklimets@adobe.com> wrote:

>>Sorry, where in the spec is this mandated?

Of course it is not mandated as such, but, the mandated behaviour
makes the indexing very inefficient (at least, the default where you
do not configure some custom indexing). As a matter of fact,
jackrabbit consists of *many* smaller and bigger indexes, but as the
emergent behaviour, it could be considered as a single one (one
multiIndexReader). For example mandatad behaviour according spec:

//*[@jcr:contains(.,'jcr')]

must return *all* nodes in the current workspace that contain jcr.
This effectively mandates that the entire thing can be searched as a
'single' index.

//*[@myproject:title='foo'] order by @myproject:summary

This mandates that title and summary *must* be stored Lucene values:
This makes a Lucene index very big.

> Not sure if it is actually mandated, but applications expect it and you
> might get conflicts with multiple applications.

Exactly.

> If one application does not want a certain property to be indexed (because
> it does not want to find it in e.g. full text search), there might be
> another one who needs it, so you can't configure the right index if you
> only have a single one.

I would like to opt for an option 'simpleIndex' which just indexes the
things that

1) Are efficient to query
2) Are not blowing up the index in size

My current implementation I can always avoid the complex queries

Ard

--
Hippo
USA  • San Francisco  185 H Street Suite B  •  Petaluma CA 94952-5100