jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Functionality to store indexes in database with jackrabbit 2.1.2 or upcoming releases.........
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:08:59 GMT
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Jukka Zitting <jzitting@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Great discussion! I've recently started looking at ways to implement the
> "search collection" stuff Alex referred to, and it would be great if this
> discussion could end up helping design such an implementation. We should
> move to dev@ for the details.

I am really not in favour. I anticipate lot's of issues, and
home-grown solutions build on top of Lucene to get it all working. We
should strive for simplicity imo, and go 'back' to as close to Lucene
as possible. Regarding 'search collections', what is the next step
after the 'path based' collections? ACL-based collections?  I don't
believe it will ever work, and will add tons of complexity.

> PS. Regarding index-in-JCR, nowadays with a file-based data store a Lucene
> search index stored and accessed as JCR nodes and properties should be
> pretty efficient...

No, it can't be efficient. Lucene is highly optimized for storage on
filesystem (or memory). You'll loose this when accessing it through
jcr nodes. I just don't see how it could ever perform. Every attempt I
have seen to store Lucene differently than on FileSystem or in memory
fails very soon on scalability. Also, storage in Lucene 4.0 completely
changes. This would mean, that the 'jcr' mapped indexes would again
need to change. We shouldn't go that route, and, it is not needed imo!
Strive for simplicity and close to plain Lucene library usage and as
few as possible own classes I strongly prefer

Regards Ard

> BR,
> Jukka Zitting

USA  • San Francisco  185 H Street Suite B  •  Petaluma CA 94952-5100
•  +1 (707) 773 4646
Canada    •   Montréal  5369 Boulevard St-Laurent  •  Montréal QC H2T
1S5  •  +1 (514) 316 8966
www.onehippo.com  •  www.onehippo.org  •  info@onehippo.com

View raw message