jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Functionality to store indexes in database with jackrabbit 2.1.2 or upcoming releases.........
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 08:37:32 GMT
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jackrabbit currently uses Lucene. According to the Lucene FAQ it should be possible,
but I'm not sure what changes (if any) would be required in Jackrabbit:

Most likely only a database based LuceneDirectory would have to be
created. Although the FAQ states that it is possible, I don't think it
can ever perform. Once again, I believe in storing segments as a whole
in a database to have a persisted lucene index, but, you cannot
efficiently access these segments in a database. You then need to keep
the index in memory.

> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#Can_I_store_the_Lucene_index_in_a_relational_database.3F
>
> I'm not aware of plans to support this feature. Patches are welcome of course :-)

First of all, we would have to do some housekeeping in the existing
implementation. The entire 'multi-index' setup, meant for 'near real
time searches' is unneeded anymore against newer lucene versions. Also
the way properties are indexed should be replaced. Note that these
changes will most likely already affect about 100 of the 200 query
classes (where quite a lot can be removed as well). So, this is lots
of work. After this, preferably, we can move to the 4.x Lucene
versions. So, a patch is welcome, but don't think to light about it :)

Regards Ard

> Regards,
> Thomas
>
> From: Atul Kumar Tripathi <Atulkumart@virtusa.com<mailto:Atulkumart@virtusa.com>>
> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 05:06:31 +0000
> To: "users@jackrabbit.apache.org<mailto:users@jackrabbit.apache.org>" <users@jackrabbit.apache.org<mailto:users@jackrabbit.apache.org>>
> Subject: Functionality to store indexes in database with jackrabbit 2.1.2 or upcoming
releases.........

> Hi Guys,
>
> Is this possible to store indexes in database using jackrabbit 2.1.2?
>
> Are there any plans to provide functionality to store indexes in database with upcoming
Jackrabbit Releases?

<http://www.virtusa.com/blog/> [cid:image003.gif@01CB8FB1.496525A0] <https://twitter.com/VirtusaCorp>
 [cid:image004.gif@01CB8FB1.496525A0] <http://www.linkedin.com/companies/virtusa>  [cid:image005.gif@01CB8FB1.496525A0]
<http://www.facebook.com/VirtusaCorp>  [cid:image006.gif@01CB8FB1.496525A0] <http://www.youtube.com/virtusacorporation>
 [cid:image007.gif@01CB8FB1.496525A0] <http://www.flickr.com/photos/virtusa>

> Virtusa was recently ranked and featured in 2010 Deloitte Technology Fast 500, 2010 Global
Services 100, IAOP's 2010 Global Outsourcing 100 sub-list and 2010 FinTech 100 among others.

> This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended for
a specific individual and purpose, and is intended for the addressee only. Any unauthorized
disclosure, use, dissemination, copying, or distribution of this message or any of its attachments
or the information contained in this e-mail, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete this message.

Hippo
USA  • San Francisco  185 H Street Suite B  •  Petaluma CA 94952-5100
•  +1 (707) 773 4646
Canada    •   Montréal  5369 Boulevard St-Laurent  •  Montréal QC H2T
1S5  •  +1 (514) 316 8966
www.onehippo.com  •  www.onehippo.org  •  info@onehippo.com