jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@day.com>
Subject Re: 30 secondes to create and open a repository ?
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 14:11:20 GMT
On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Ista Pouss <istaous@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/11/11 Cech. Ulrich <Ulrich.Cech@aeb.de>
>
>> < No, I configure nothing ; the repository goes in an empty directory, as
>> you can see with dirs.mkdirs().>
>> Then, try to configure a repository.xml and choose simple FileSystem as
>> PersistenceManager and so on and give this XML to the TransientRepository to
>> check, if this makes some difference.
>>

> With BundleFsPersistenceManager, the same take only 3 secondes !
>
> It seem that DerbyPersistenceManager, the default, is very time expensive,
> for me, at startup.
>
> But what to do ?... in wiki I read, at
> http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/PersistenceManagerFAQ#Bundle_File-System_PM:
> "Bundle File-System PM Not meant to be used in production environments
> (except for read-only uses)".
>
> is it derby wich is bad ? If I must use another database, which one ?

you're on the wrong track. your poor startup performance is mainly due
to classloading.
if you create the repository repeatedly in the same process you'll notice
significantly improved startup time.

however, there must be something wrong with your setup/machine.

on my macbook pro (2.8ghz) the first startup takes 3-4 seconds,
2nd startup takes about 0.4 seconds.

cheers
stefan