jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From ChadDavis <chadmichaelda...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: version control basics
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 16:39:35 GMT
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Jukka Zitting <jzitting@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From: ChadDavis [mailto:chadmichaeldavis@gmail.com]
>> I've read on this list, that some developers keep the document always
>> in the checkedOut state and only move to the checked in state when
>> committing an official version of the document.  After which they
>> immediately checkOut the document again.  This works for me, but seems
>> to be a waste of the entire concept of "checked out".
>
> Would you also call Subversion a wasteful version control system since it keeps working
copies always in a
> "checked out" state?

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that it was a pointless feature.  On
the contrary, I'm looking for advise on how to make use of it.

In particular, I'm looking to implement locking of a document by an
author.  I'm trying to decide between whether the locking api or the
version control api's checked-out state are more appropriate.  I've
read a lot of older threads on this list, but couldn't find a
satisfactory explanation.