jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ian Boston <...@tfd.co.uk>
Subject Re: onEvent and Session sharing.
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:59:56 GMT

On 14 Oct 2010, at 22:01, Ian Boston wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been hitting some performance problems with Sling based on Jackrabbit 2.1 and
notice a pattern that I think is causing the problem, but want to confirm it with someone
more knowledgable.

> The pattern is an javax.jcr.observation.EventListener.onEvent(....) implementation using
a session from a containing class provisioned by another thread.

> The behaviour is system wide blocking of all threads that provisioned the session in
question.

> In our case its inside the ACLProviders. We make heavy use of ACLs so every ACLProvider
(ie all threads with a session) is intermittently blocked when an ACL modification is made.

> Am I reading the situation correctly?
> I know that JR 2.2 has made steps forwards in this area, but is there a cure for 2.1
?

I did a patch to my version of the standard ACLProvider[1], paths in a queue to be processed
by the thread owning the SystemSession (my SystemSessions are bound to thread unlike those
in standard JR2.1) and this appears to remove most of the blocking. I havent looked into the
other areas yet.

1 http://github.com/sakaiproject/nakamura/commit/d98e78bbdc4b215034e17f85ef52ad1a97d9f9e4#diff-0