jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suggestions for node hierarchy?
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 15:54:09 GMT

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Stefan Hagedorn <nachteilhaft@gmx.de> wrote:
> ...I am pretty new to Jackrabbit and while thinking about how to organize my content
in the repo, I was
> wondering if the structure/hierarchy of the nodes has an (significant) impact on indexing
and searching....

I don't have deep knowledge of performance issues, but I don't think so.

The only limitation that I'm aware of is that a node should not have
more than N child nodes, N being around 10'000 last time I checked.
And much less than that helps when a human is looking at your tree ;-)

OTOH the node hierarchy has a big impact on how
self-explaining/hackable (in the noble sense) your system is.

http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DavidsModel has a few pointers, for
the rest I'd say think of what you would do in a unixish filesystem,
on steroids.

> ...I was thinking about organizing my content in files and folders, because I read somewhere
that a deep
> hierarchy is better than a flat one, where every content node is a direct child of the
root node....

File and folders can work well, and you might want to start with a few
subdivisions under the root node, again something like a unixish
filesystem (/libs for code, /content, /etc for configs, /tmp), etc.

My basic benchmark for a node structure is "can someone figure out
what this is by just looking at the tree of nodes and properties" - I
think making this self-explaining and logical is the beauty of JCR.
This includes self-explaining "local micro-trees" under your main
pieces of content: pages, business objects, whatever.

I also (shameless plug) wrote a blog post about this at
http://dev.day.com/content/ddc/blog/2009/04/cq5tags.html, might help.

> ...In a simple benchmark test I wasn't able to figure out any differences of execution
time for xpath queries
> between both variants....

Matches my experience.

View raw message