jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Müller <thomas.muel...@day.com>
Subject Re: Threads blocked in org.apache.jackrabbit.core.id.SeededSecureRandom
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 06:33:05 GMT
Hi,

> We have more than 50 threads waiting here.

Please note this is a background thread that doesn't block the application.

The thread to seeds the secure random singleton is slow, because
reading from /dev/random is very slow in your system. What kind of
system is it? I'm just curious. Jackrabbit uses a workaround for such
systems: if reading from /dev/random takes longer than 1 second, it
uses an alternative approach to seed the pseudo-random number
generator (see the source code).

> NativePRNG generation reads at intervals

Actually, it's only doing that once per SeededSecureRandom instance.
The maximum waiting time to generate a SeededSecureRandom instance is
a bit more than 1 second, and Jackrabbit only uses one instance.

Regards,
Thomas